Solar panels are becoming more and more popular around the UK, however a lot of people remain unaware of the benefits as well as the downfalls associated with having them installed.
Here at Snug Network we like to make things as straight forward for you as we possibly can. Therefore, we have compiled a list of the main pros and cons of solar panels.
The benefits of solar panels include:
- Renewable – As solar is renewable it is a source of energy that we will never run out of compared to other sources such as coal.
- Low maintenance – Solar panels are very low maintenance. The output of solar panels decline as they become dirtier. A heavy rainstorm will usually remove the majority of dirt however they should be cleaned 2-3 times a year to remove more substantial dirt. Saving Energy UK are part of the Snug Network and offer solar panel cleaning and can also install bird deterrents to help prevent any bird droppings.
- Warranties – The majority of solar panels will include up to 10 year warranties
- Feed in Tariff (FIT) Scheme – With the FIT scheme in place you can sell the excess energy that you create and do not use. As well as additional payments for the electricity that you do use.
- Lower Carbon Emissions for your household
- Save up to £320 a year* (including FIT payments and savings on energy bills)
Even though there are many pros there are also a few downsides which include:
- The initial cost – The overall initial cost of having solar panels installed can be quite expensive and even with the savings and money earned through FIT it can take a few years to for the savings to outweigh the cost.
- Intermittent – Solar panels are only capable of creating and using energy straight away. Therefore there is no electricity throughout the
- Storage – Solar batteries are used to allow you to have access to power during hours that your solar panels are not powering your home. These batteries can be quite large, the size of a washing machine and are an additional cost to your installation. As they are fairly new technology costs are quite high but it is believed like solar panels these will reduce over the next few years
For more information about solar panels and solar panel installs phone 0800 840 6813, email [email protected], use the enquiry form or even tweet us @snugnetwork and one of our advisors will be happy to help!
*this information was taken from http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/domestic/solar-panels and is correct as of April 2016.